347 lifter problem - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

347 lifter problem

ok i have a 92 lx hatch. 347 stroker all eagle stuff. Twisted wedge heads, anderson n-91 cam with the hi-rev springs. drivin it home i started hearing a noise, perty good size tap/knock. too fast to be a rod. i put a new set of comp lifters in it, and it fixed then noise, but now i can't get the valves to set. you can set one side so it's quiet but by the time you set the other side, the first side is tappin it's ass off. it's a consistent loud tap, reviing it up quiets it down some. but it seems no matter how many times i set the valves it's still got a loud tap. and no it's not a normal noise, i know it's not going to have a quiet valve train, but it seems almost that somethin is causin em to be out of adjustment. are the springs and cam too much for stock lifters? or do i have other issues? i don't have a mechanical oil gauge but pressure is great on the stock gauge. still runs and drives great, pulls like a bitch, i raced my buddie in his 11 sec ls1 and pulled on him, so the car still has great power but still at an idle has this very loud and noticible tap/knock coming from the top end of the motor. any ideas? i've been told i might need to just put solid roller lifters in it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
ok i have a 92 lx hatch. 347 stroker all eagle stuff. Twisted wedge heads, anderson n-91 cam with the hi-rev springs. drivin it home i started hearing a noise, perty good size tap/knock. too fast to be a rod. i put a new set of comp lifters in it, and it fixed then noise, but now i can't get the valves to set. you can set one side so it's quiet but by the time you set the other side, the first side is tappin it's ass off. it's a consistent loud tap, reviing it up quiets it down some. but it seems no matter how many times i set the valves it's still got a loud tap. and no it's not a normal noise, i know it's not going to have a quiet valve train, but it seems almost that somethin is causin em to be out of adjustment. are the springs and cam too much for stock lifters? or do i have other issues? i don't have a mechanical oil gauge but pressure is great on the stock gauge. still runs and drives great, pulls like a bitch, i raced my buddie in his 11 sec ls1 and pulled on him, so the car still has great power but still at an idle has this very loud and noticible tap/knock coming from the top end of the motor. any ideas? i've been told i might need to just put solid roller lifters in it.

my 331 w/a comp cam does the same thing ..no matter how many times i adjust them they keep making noise , i called comp and they told me that it was normal to hear the valvetrain with the engine runnning and the hood open ...but should be quiet with the hood close and sitting in the car ..if that helps ya ..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #3

i'm not expecting it to be quiet. but this is not a normal valve train noise. i can hear it in the car idling. def a distinctive tap. perty loud. i pulled into a car show earlier and someone asked me if i had a rocker loose or something. it just does not sound right.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #4

Wouldn't be a rocker touching the inside of the valve cover/oil baffle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement