Summit engine rebuild kit any good? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (16)

Summit engine rebuild kit any good?

I am trying to do a budget rebuild ona 5.0 I have. I am looking at the Summit engine rebuild kit for a 306 with the forged Speed Pro pistong. I am wanting to use this with a set of AFR 165 or TW heads. Will that piston work with that? I will be using something in the area of a Trick Flow stage 1 cam. Looks like a pretty decent kit, but would I be better pieceing something together?

I am shooting for 310 rwhp NA, with a 150-175 shot.

I was also told that it is usually cheaper to get new rods versus having the maching shop rebuild/resize my factory rods. Is that correct?

How much should I be expecting to spend on having this motor assembled with all the services to suit my needs by the machine shop? Trying to weigh my options between that and just buying a ready built short block.

Thanks,
Shawn

Black On Black '12 GT Premium, MT82, Rapid Spec 400a, Brembo Package, 3.73's, Sync - Stone stock for the moment.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)

The guy who built my 306 said it was good enough stuff and was cheaper than he'd be able to get it for by piece, so I did the exact same thing.

Then $1235 more got me all this from a local builder, which I think was pretty damn cheap:

- Procure used roller block
- Clean block, bore .030, hone, install new cam bearings and core plugs
- Grind crank .010 under
- Balance pistons and rods
- Balance rotating assembly from damper to pressure plate, using my existing Pioneer SFI damper
- cc the GT40 heads
- Shave heads .010
- Valve job & install new valve guides
- Machine valve stems to achieve uniform height
- install used adjustable timing set
- Degree cam & set lifter preload
- Fabricate and install oil pan baffles per my instruction
- Fabricate bung for oil temp sender per my instruction
- Assemble from oil pan to lower intake and timing cover

YMMV. I don't think you'd have any problem hitting your RWHP goal this way. Start calling around the machine shops and asking what it would take to do, and compare that to short-block purchase including freight and so on, and you'll probably come out ahead with a competent builder.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #3

Ok sounds pretty good. I wouldn't need all the machine work that you did. Basically I just want to get the engine with new bearing and rings, honed, decked, rods and pistons fitted, and then balanced. Maybe have them bolt the heads on too.

Thanks,
Shawn

Black On Black '12 GT Premium, MT82, Rapid Spec 400a, Brembo Package, 3.73's, Sync - Stone stock for the moment.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (19)

On my first motor I also used the summit rebuild kit and had alittle work done at the machine shop. I think they are "ok" if you don't plan on getting too serious with the car. Mine worked just great for daily driving, etc etc.

Kyle
I Understand The Jeep Thing..Thats Why I Drive A Z-71
Old 06-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #5

well stock bottom end cars are making over 400hp with boost, This stuff has got to be better than stock stuff.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (13)

I used the Summit kit with those same pistons you mentioned to build my 306. My machine shop even reccommended those pistons as being the best thing to buy if your not going forged pistons. I had no problems with the kit except the oil pan gasket. It came with a cork, and I bought a rubber one from Autozone.

As far as the rods, I bought a new set cheaper than getting mine reconditioned plus I was able to step up to the floating wrist pin. Easier to assemble and has some performance plus's too. I bought the Scat rods from CNCmotorsports much cheaper than anywhere else you can check. You can find them on the web.

Barry
Old 06-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #7

Well this kit comes with forged Speed pro pistons. Supposedly they are made by TRW and are pretty much identical to the 87-92 Factory forgings.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 06-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (1)

i was also looking int that kit with the forged dome pistons.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (45)

That is Damn cheap IMHO!!!I'll have about $1200 in one doing all the wrenching myself after the machine shop gets done w/their stuff!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (19)

Shawn - You might want to have the machine shop check those pistons really good. My buddy got a set of them for his build.. the exact ones your talking about... and upon assembly... they found cracks in 6 out of the 8. So.... sent them back and they sent him another set.... found 5 out of 8 of the second set had cracks in them. I think it was due to a bad batch there for awhile, but.. still doesnt hurt to have them checked to be sure!

Kyle
I Understand The Jeep Thing..Thats Why I Drive A Z-71
Old 06-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (17)

you wouldn't happen to have that part # handy would you?
I also am fixin to do a rebuild and my father lives just 10 min. from summit, he could bring them to me in the next month
Thanks
88 thunderbird, 5.0, TW heads, xe270hr , 1.7 roller rockers, 65mm throttle body,*24 inj.,76mm pro-m,18° base timing, cobra upper/Tmoss lower, 1.0"spacer, msd ign., msd dist., under drives, smog delete, walbro 255, 1 5/8 shorties, 2.5" exhaust,aod w/silverfox valvebody 3.73 trac lok,
Old 06-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (0)

I bought that exact kit you are talking about from Summit and was very pleased with it except for the cork gaskets. I replaced the cork valve cover and oil pan gaskets with the permatorque blue rubbber ones. I have approx 1000miles on my 306 HO rebuild using that kit. Doesn't use any oil and piston fitment was good.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #13

Yeah, I figure there will be a couple of the things that I won't use in it, and will have to upgrade.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 06-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (1)

I used a kit with SpeedPro hyper pistons that looked exactly like the 87-93 forged slugs. Mine were coated skirt pistons tho, which the machine shop owner recommended to reduce wear on the bore. Speed Pro stuff is pretty good for the price. Its not really meant for radical motors but its great stock replacement stuff.
5.0 HO,FMS 1.72 roller rockers, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, Hedman shorties, 2.5" dual exhaust with Impala tailpipes, traction lock with carbon-fiber clutches, 4 wheel disc brakes, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Mark VII LSC SE - triple black, all stock
Old 06-13-2008, 03:39 AM   #15

Trader Feedback: (8)

I don't know how much you would have in it after machining, assembly, etc., but you can buy an assembled stroker shortblock from someone like www.fordstrokers.com for ~$2k. I don't know what their 306 costs, might be less? Food for thought.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #16

Trader Feedback: (2)

You pretty much get bottom of the barrel parts.

You can get much better parts yourself. Internet is pretty handy for shopping.

For an extra few hundred dollars, you can get decent pistons that actually will take power.

Here is a perfect example of decent forged pistons for CHEAP...these include RINGS and PINS!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...m330243435786&

PS: I have nothing to do with the above auction, simply the first set that came up in the 5 seconds it took to type in.

2003 GT Convertible, K&N cold air system, Magnaflow cat back, auto...MINT...Loving it!

Last edited by 67mike; 06-13-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #17

Trader Feedback: (11)

I put together a 306 with a summit kit. I was very impressed with how strong that stuff ended up being.

Ran the car for over 7 years without a rebuild put down 325 rwhp N/A and probably ran hundreds of shots of nitrous (150 shot)through it at the track. Not even a hicup. Sold it not to long ago to Dynoman and he put a turbo on it. Made over 500 rwhp and close to 600 tq. Still running like a champ. Still no rebuild.

That stuff is not bottom of the barrell it's just not over kill like most stuff out there for mild applications.

The combo was Trickflow twisted wedge heads an F cam and 9.5 to 1 compression.

I was very pleased with it and would recommend the stuff in a heartbeat.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #18
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (20)

I hate to say it, but typically budget rebuild kits are of the same quality as what Ford puts into their engines. Remember, car companies put the cheapest stuff they can into their cars that meet the minimum. I'm a big fan of the Summit stuff.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #19

Well to be perfectly honest with you, I've had good luck with the ford factory stuff (5.0 related anyway) I've run 200 shots through stock 100k hyper bottom ends. This stuff I'm sure is better than that.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (11)

mine was built with a summit kit, 10:1 pistons were the only change over stock, still same piston design (forged). I beat the snot out of it all the time and it loves every second of it.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #21

Sorry, you can say what you want, they use the cheapest gasket kits, run of the mill parts, heaviest forged pistons around, or cast/hypercrap.

You can do MUCH better by taking 5 minutes and ordering from various sources.

2003 GT Convertible, K&N cold air system, Magnaflow cat back, auto...MINT...Loving it!
Old 03-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #22

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mike View Post
Sorry, you can say what you want, they use the cheapest gasket kits, run of the mill parts, heaviest forged pistons around, or cast/hypercrap.

You can do MUCH better by taking 5 minutes and ordering from various sources.
Would you be willig to give some specific parts that would be better and cost about the same amount as the summit kit?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #23

Seriously guy youll be fine, I dont know if your going with a kit with rods but Speed Pro's (TRW) are a heavier piston but I have abuse them in Dirt track claimer Grand Nationals and had no problems. The skirts with the coatings look good after teardowns too.

Lets be honest here guys, hes wants to make 300 RWP and 450 RWP on the gun, not 600. Your stock block max is around 500 (Seen them split with 300 already). Fill the block with the setup and run it youll be happy. Theres no point of buying 600 dollar pistons for stock blocks you can get for free on any SBF HP forum

Only uprgrade I woud do is get rid of the stock rods if you buy the TRW kit.

Last edited by Sprayaway Fox; 03-14-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #24

Trader Feedback: (0)

I would check out a remanufactured shortblock from Powersource.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #25

Re: Summit engine rebuild kit any good?

Depending where you are at, I can get you a rebuilt 306 fresh from the machine shop for 475 with a core. New pistons, rings , bearings , freeze plugs, stock rods and turned crank. Pm if you are interested
Old 03-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #26

I just rebuilt mine with the Summit speed pro kit. It is very high quality. First off when you compare the pistons you will be amazed. The casting is thicker, the valve reliefs are way bigger and it used wider ringers for added sealing power. You can run 2.02 valves no prob and I would run a bigger cam then the tf1. I running a comp 276 with 544 lift not even close on my ptv clearnace
Old 03-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #27

heres a pic of one thought I had a side by side comparison but cant find it

Old 03-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #28

Its only been a couple of years.Wonder if the op is still searching for info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement