Ford Mustang Forums banner

94/95 stangers, need your help

1K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  shadystang1 
#1 ·
**Please help**
Fellow corralers I need your HELP! I am looking at buying a 94 mustang gt. I am asking you guys to help me out and please give me some insight on what I am getting into. I want to purchase this car from an older lady I work with. She is the original owner. Car is bone stock. About the car.....

Vehicle history report: What I pulled off carfax......

- 1994 mustang GT coupe, 5-spd, one owner, light blue ext./grey cloth int.
- 104k original miles.
- No major/minor accidents reported, flood, hail, or fire damage, no odo rollback
- clean title
- car has averaged 9,906 miles per year since 1994
- Car seems to have no major mechanical problems (I need help with inspection suggestions)
- no major dings, but a few typical door dents are present

.......now what I know is wrong with this car.....
- cracked windshield (really bad needs to be replaced)
- starter/charge problem, car seems to not want to start after warm-up (suggestions)
- passenger window motor out
- a/c only works on high (help.....)
- slight oil leak
- odometer just stopped working last month

What else should I look into before purchasing this vehicle??? Specific areas of inspection? What would you pay for this vehicle assuming everything else checked out???? How much would the problems I listed cost ME to fix? I need help......any and all opinions wanted.....thanks corral!!

See less See more
#3 ·
a cracked windshield can cost a few hundred, check with a local shop for prices

Do a tune up and clean your maf for your starting problem
Your ac could be a bad switch or your blower motor is going,
Slight oil leak probably is your rear main seal, not much you can do with that without pulling the trans out, which you might as well do when you replace the clutch
the odometer thing could be the gear in the trans, check both gears in the trans, the one at the end of the vehicle speed sensor and the one in the transmission.

#5 · (Edited)
odometer could be simple or difficult depending on where the problems lie. If it's the gear the one on the end of the speed sensor is around 5 bucks and it takes about 5 min to replace once the car is in the air, the one in the trans requires the tail shaft to be removed. Could also be a bad sensor.

You blower motor is the motor that goes on when you move the switch from low to high and it sits right above the passengers feet every car has one. I think that goes for around 50-70 depending on where you get it from, a junkyard one costs less. A tune up will be around 100 if you do it yourself (cap, rotor, pvc, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires).

I would put in an offer for 3000, being that it's going to cost you a bit to get it right. Check on that windshield they aren't cheap.

#6 ·
If the speedomenter works and just the odometer does't work, it's probably just the odometer gear in the cluster. $20 tops to fix. There is a good thread floating around 94-95 tech with pics on how to fix this.

On the power window motor, does the motor run but the glass doesn't move or do you just get nothing? Our power window operators have these nifty self-destructing bushings just so Ford can rape you $500 to fix the car with a $5 part. I posted a bunch of pics of this in another thread.

I have the whole HVAC box out of a '94 GT and if it has what you need I'll make you a good deal :). There is some kind of multi-resistor deal that sets the fan speeds if I remember right. I'll look in my pile of crap tonight and see what I can come up with.

Shawn

#7 ·
Well here's the problem. She was looking at getting at least $5k for it and I pointed out the things that are apparently worng and managed to jew her down to $4k. Took about 2 months to get her to accept. Do you guys think I should pass based on whats wrong with the car. What do sn95's like this typically go for????

#9 ·
well if it took two months id keep waiting because if the car hasnt sold for the asking price theres gotta be something wrong.

#10 ·
**** 4k for a decent 94 gt is a good price. Thats what wore out fox bodies are going for. Do a little maintaince and you'll be fine. Get it for 3800 or so and your way ahead of the game

#11 ·
Don’t forget the balancer; with 100k on the car I’m sure that you’ll need to replace it $150.00 for a stocker and 300+ for a sfi. I would offer $3500.00 for the car with the problems. Just mention the windshield and charging problem?? Maybe the alt.. another $100 for a 130 amp.

I bought mine with about the same mileage and it was mint, 5speed, stock, and cold ac $4200.00.

#12 ·
Usually, people are afraid to do this for some strange reson, but...

Ask if she has road hazard insurance from her insurance company. If she does, and will let you pay her deductable ($50 usually) have her get it fixed under her insurance prior to the sale.

On the odometer fix, make darn sure you get that fixed before inspecting it. a $20 fix could cost you much more when the title is changed to "unknown mileage".

If the interior is really clean, and the exterior and wheels, it is a decent deal if you can work the above 2 out.

#13 ·
rpfuror said:
Don’t forget the balancer; with 100k on the car I’m sure that you’ll need to replace it $150.00 for a stocker and 300+ for a sfi. I would offer $3500.00 for the car with the problems. Just mention the windshield and charging problem?? Maybe the alt.. another $100 for a 130 amp.

I bought mine with about the same mileage and it was mint, 5speed, stock, and cold ac $4200.00.
damn, $150 for a stocker? I got mine for $80.

$3500 sounds like a good starting point for an offer, he may want more tho.

I bought mine with the same mileage, give or take... but auto, and a cracked rear bumper for $4k

#15 ·
if it has all these problems do you really think the oil has been changed regularly, or any other maintenece was done? I doubt she'd get 4000 from too many people, I hope the body and interior are perfect.

#16 ·
I bought my 94 with cobra wheels, GT40X heads, Ecam, GT40 intake, 65tb, 24# injectors, prom 75 maf......Black on black leather 67K miles for $7K

I'd say $3500 tops

#17 ·
well she has kept up on regular oil changes and other maint. The majority of these problems occured within the last 4 months. They are the main reason she is backing away from the car. According to her she feels as though she just can't maintain it (or afford to) mainly because she is not mechanically incline and was recently taken advantage of by her mechanic friend of 10 yrs. Evidently this guy who has done all the maint. on her car needed some cash and overcharged her for starter install and window motor repair (driver side). Something like $750 and now she is not even sure the starter was replaced since the warm starting probs.

I think her story checks out because according to the carfax report everything ever done to the car since 1994 was done at the same shop w/ the samee adress etc.

Body is near perfect. Interior is nice but needs cleaning, lots of dog hair in back seat, nothing a good cleaning could not fix...

OPINIONS

#19 ·
Eagle11401 said:
The Kbb priviate party value on the car is about 3800 in good condition, so I would say 3500 is a resonable amount with the problems it has.
I'd second that, and that would be if she could get the windshield done under her insurance. 3800 in good condition is with a good windshield, which is the big deduction here.

#21 ·
I am still firm with 3000, having an idea that that windshield will cost anywhere from 500-800 to get replaced by a professional (at least in NJ) it is not worth 3500. You really need to check that out if you are going to end up replacing it, maybe they have cheaper places where you are at.

Otherwise I say 3500 is a good price to go with if the windshield is replaced and still has all of the other problems.

#22 ·
about your ac only working on high. does the heat also only work on high? if so its probably the blower motor resister pack. i have no idea what one cost for a mustang (never had to replace mine) but as a dodge tech ive replaced plenty of them and they only cost like $25.

#23 ·
here in s.c. I called about a winshield for my 95 gt and it was 190.00 installed

#26 ·
You guys are great!!!! The corral is so much better then other mustang forums....aka stang***.com. Yes the heater only works on high as well, so I will assume its something blower motor related.*****Thanks superslow94!

I met up with her last night and she said she would think over my offer of $3600. I am about to run to the bank and supposed to meet up with her again today around 2pm (texas time). We will see what happens, but I have decided to pay no more than 3800. Wish me luck fellas', thanks again for all the help.......

I called around here in houston about the windshield and was quoted anywhere from 180- 250. I am sure the dealership would be much more expensive....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.