Whats so special about a police interceptor 460? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > 351C/Big Block Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (3)

Whats so special about a police interceptor 460?

Ive got the opportunity to purchase a 460 police interceptor from my brother-in-law.
How do you identify it as such, AND what separates them from a "regular" 460?
Thanks
-Dave
650 rwtq
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (23)

The PI motor I messed with Had larger than stock ports and the 'football' head rod bolts. They are smaller than the CJ ports though. The casting # on the heads was DOOE
Old 12-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (8)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89missle View Post
Ive got the opportunity to purchase a 460 police interceptor from my brother-in-law.
How do you identify it as such, AND what separates them from a "regular" 460?
Thanks
-Dave
First of all, is this engine a 429PI or is it a 460PI? B-i-i-i-i-g difference. I don't know all the details from year-to-year but will do my best to be as accurate as possible.
  • From somewhere in the 1960's and up to/including the 1970 model year, the FoMoCo PI engines were FE's, typically the 428PI (which is of the FE Family, not to be confused with the 429PI, which is of the 385 Series Family).
  • In 1971, the 429PI debuted. It was basically a 429SCJ engine with D0OE-R heads, 4-bolt D0VE-A block and forged flat top pistons, etc. The SCJ intake may have had the spreadbore carb pad, though (I'm not sure)
  • In 1972, the dedicated 429PI engine was released. This engine had the 4-bolt D0VE-A block, D2OE-AB Police Interceptor heads, flat top forged pistons, and an SCJ-style intake with a spreadbore carb pad.
  • 1973 brought the 460PI. (Maybe there were still some 429PI's?) It had TRW "D"-shaped dish pistons and (I think) the D2OE-AB PI heads. Not sure what it had for a block and intake.
  • 1974 was the 460PI. Here is where I don't know what's going on. Somewhere around this time or perhaps in 1975, they went to the D3VE-A2A passenger car head.

What are they worth? For an engine core, it depends on the specific components used. The newer the engine, the less value (due to fewer hi perf parts), but a PI restoration guy may be more interested than the average performance enthusast.

You need to get the casting numbers off the intake manifold, the cylinder heads, and the block. Then, we will have a general idea on price range.

Paul

View Our Ebay Auctions: click HERE.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:15 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

some of the PI heads had smal;ler intake ports and so the VALVE COVER did not have the cutouts in the gasket area such as the CJ head / valve cover did.....

you should get it to just be able to BANG IT AROUND... and beat it up.

because the police used to use that engine to bang us around....
there aint no shortcuts to doing it RIGHT....
Old 12-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the info.
I will get the casting numbers this weekend and post them up.
I appreciate the help.
-Dave
650 rwtq
Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #6

I bought a 77 Police car (undercover or Detectives car) and the only difference I could find is that the car had an oil cooler, extra trans cooler, and a light package.
Nothing special at all. Everything on that engine looked just like standard LTD stuff.

Although that trans cooler was nice.
95 Saphire Blue GT 5 speed
Old 12-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (1)

After a while police cars were nothing more than stripped down models with stiffer springs, a trans cooler, maybe slightly larger brakes, and usually heavier anti-roll bars. The motors weren't much special after about 75 or so. A friend of mine had a 77 cop car with the 460, it had a specific master cylinder for the police model with a bigger piston, and thats really about it. It ran well, but it wasn't too impressive for a big block powered Torino car with no options. Another friend of mine gave him a run for his money in a bone stock 4.3 TBI S10 pickup truck if that gives you any idea of how not impressive it was.
5.0 HO,FMS 1.72 roller rockers, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, Hedman shorties, 2.5" dual exhaust with Impala tailpipes, traction lock with carbon-fiber clutches, 4 wheel disc brakes, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Mark VII LSC SE - triple black, all stock
Old 12-12-2007, 04:16 AM   #8

ya cant outrun the radio...

but when you get a EX cop car or engine,...
...you can run it till it blows up and not have to worry about someone catching you....
Old 12-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #9

Looed at the block today.
The block casting# was:
DIVE-6015-A2B.
The head casting# was:
D3VE-A2A
Im thinking its NOT an Interceptor motor??
650 rwtq
Old 12-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #10

They had antoher 460 there with block casting numbers:
D9TE-AB
What is this engine?
650 rwtq
Old 12-15-2007, 10:56 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (8)

I think that's the casting that was used between 79 and 9X. Check www.460ford.com
Old 12-16-2007, 12:00 AM   #12

regardless,

it IS a good base to start with.
.....BOTH OF THEM....

follow the things that Paul Kane has mentioned....
Old 12-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #13
kim
Moderator & USAF (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89missle View Post
They had antoher 460 there with block casting numbers:
D9TE-AB
What is this engine?
Block is a 1971 car block
Or to be more acurate 1971 V =ehicle engine
Heads 1973

As for the 1979, its a 1979 Truck block.

The "cop-car" block could be somewhat valuable for a stock block. Thick main webs, great for 4 bolt cap adapators.. thick main bulkhead. and or an option for the BOSS oiling system.. Could even be a 4 bolt factory block.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato Engineering View Post
ya cant outrun the radio...
No you can't but you can outsmart it as I did a few times in my earlier years.
88 coupe, 351 cleveland, unported 4V heads, buddy rawls custom solid roller, diamond domes, 6'' h-beam rods, stock 4bolt block/crank, holley strip dominator, 950HP holley, hoosier 28x10, 90/10s, UPR pro rear kit
nonstroked, stock iron heads and NO NITROUS!!!!!!!!
10.08@134.83 / 6.44@108.21 (1/8th)
Old 12-17-2007, 06:01 AM   #15

the cops are still looking for A.C. every day....

......he is still hiding out.

KIM,

the ..." BOSS 429 ..." type "oiling" is only on the BOSS block...

There were no other blocks that had the "boss" oil system flow,...as you know, the BoSS" oil flow employed a seperate galley as a "main feed" such as a contemporary chevy / dart/ world replacement block.....

rather than the "stock" oil flow galley using the lifter galley as a main feed.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:02 AM   #16
kim
Moderator & USAF (Retired)

Quote:

KIM,

the ..." BOSS 429 ..." type "oiling" is only on the BOSS block...

There were no other blocks that had the "boss" oil system flow,...as you know, the BoSS" oil flow employed a seperate galley as a "main feed" such as a contemporary chevy / dart/ world replacement block.....

rather than the "stock" oil flow galley using the lifter galley as a main feed.

True, but some of the D0VE D1VE have the "galley" boss in the casting. From what Im told, don't try and drill em..... The rest of the galley doesnt exist, and ya hit water.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #17

Quote:

Nah, statute of limitations ran out long ago. As soon as the cop that chased me retires and I see him in public, I'm going to tell him that it was me that outran him and the 6 others I don't know 20+ years ago.
88 coupe, 351 cleveland, unported 4V heads, buddy rawls custom solid roller, diamond domes, 6'' h-beam rods, stock 4bolt block/crank, holley strip dominator, 950HP holley, hoosier 28x10, 90/10s, UPR pro rear kit
Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #18

I guess Their engines weren't so special anyway.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #19

it is all just a big wad of HYPE,

just like the cops of the day...

it is all about your EGO.....!!!!!!!

the same basic block with just about ANY of the various replacement heads is capable of out running the old "cop car" engine....

do you really understand....???
Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #20

.HA HA ...HA....

to all cleveland,

to the cops,

it is just part of the everyday job to chase you.
for YOU it was probably a "mission" to play hide and seek...

but because of this,

their THOUGHT of persuing you has been in the back of your mind for some years now and this phys-cology has been bothering you for all this time because you have been having to "llook over your shoulder" and "around your back" all the time....

when you get a ticket today, you should not bit cH or complain,...because this is just a small token "ticket" in comparison to all the OTHER BIGGER and larger QUAP that you did and got away with in years past....

they are still looking for you....!!!!!

HA HA... HA....!!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #21

Quote:
for YOU it was probably a "mission" to play hide and seek...
Actually I had no intention of doing this before it happened. I was driving a friend's 80 corvette (that he had for about 2 weeks and had just filled up) with him and another friend in the pass seat. A car was following us from a short distance but slowly gaining. I didn't know if it was a cop or somebody wanting to race so I decided to find out ( I was 17 at the time). When I took off, the car fell back a good bit and then stopped falling back while barely keeping up with us. This went on for over a mile at about 130 mph with no cop lights yet. Finally when the car comes around a curve and gets back in sight, the red and blue lights are on. This city cop chased us for about 15 miles before we met two unmarked state troopers. They stopped in the road and turned on dash mounted blue lights. I blew by them at full speed while they turned around behind me and pulled off on the side of the road so the city cop could come on through. I went over the hill and took a left while out of the their sight (good thing I did because they had set up a road block a few miles down the road at a bridge). I never saw the cops go by in the rearview mirror. I get a few miles from the end of the road I turned left onto and meet another city cop from the town I was heading toward but I was not speeding at the time. He evidently had heard what was happening on the radio and recognized the car. He turned around behind us and turned on his light so it was on again. I easily left him as he was driving an older Dodge Diplomat. When I got to the end of that road, there was traffic coming preventing me from pulling out. When the traffic clears, I do a tire smoking hook slide onto US 231. Little did I know I had done this in front of an already coming state trooper. He turned his lights on so it was on again. I pull off from him for a few miles (he's still got me in sight) and turn left to go try to hide behind a friends barn down that road but he's too close and would have seen me so I keep going past my friend's place. A few more miles down the road, with more distance on him due the road being very curvy and his boat not being able to handle it like the vette, I come to a sharp dropoff that has a right turn at the bottom of the hill. The cop is far enough back so I hook slide it onto the right turn doing a 360 around the stop sign barely grazing the nose of the car on the stop sign pole and ending up facing down the road I turned onto. I kill the lights and stomp it to the floor. I see the cop go flying by in the mirror and turn the lights back on. Then I go to the top of the hill, turn down a dirt road, pull in behind some farmer's old barn and park for a couple of hours. Never saw anymore cops that night. I later found out the last cop that was chasing us wrecked his car (totalling it out) in the curve right past where we took the last right but was not hurt. After hiding out for a couple of hours, we went home.

Quote:
their THOUGHT of persuing you has been in the back of your mind for some years now and this phys-cology has been bothering you for all this time because you have been having to "llook over your shoulder" and "around your back" all the time....
Like hell I have. I never worried about it again after the cops showed up at my buddy's house telling his dad they knew it was his car and that I was driving (because we were 17 and ran our mouth's all over town about it) but they couldn't prove it since they never caught us or got a tag number. Here's the funny thing. I went to the police station one night, not long after the chase, to sign a warrant on a guy. They told me to have a seat in this room and someone will be with you in a minute. After 20 minutes or so goes by, with cops walking around all over the place that could have written the warrant, a cop finally walks in sits down with a ####ty look on his face. They had called in the cop that chased me that night. He starts writing the warrant and asking me questions like "you still like to ride around a lot/you still like to drive fast''..."oh no sir, I've had to slow it down since I got a couple of tickets a while back"..."hmmm that's funny, I've seen you driving at a pretty high rate of speed lately"......"really, I don't know what you're talking about". He finished writing the warrant, turns it around for me to sign, slams his pen down on the table and says "let me tell you something, next time you decide to go riding around, don't try to outrun the law because you can't". I wanted to say "well I did" so bad but that would be an admission of guilt so I just looked at him, signed the warrant and said is that all I need to do. That same guy is still a cop here but he can't be far from retirement. As soon as I find out he's retired and see him somewhere, I will get to tell him how himself and several other cops got their ass handed to them by a 17 yr old in an 8 yr old corvette with three people in it. I know this chase was a stupid thing to do but hey, we were all 17 at the time.

Quote:
when you get a ticket today, you should not bit cH or complain,...because this is just a small token "ticket" in comparison to all the OTHER BIGGER and larger QUAP that you did and got away with in years past....
I have gotten a couple of tickets since then and got one of them torn up along with a certificate of appreciation from the police dept for helping the city cops catch a guy that was breaking into a car that was part of the city auction to be held in a few days. I bitched about the other ticket or two I got but knew I deserved them so I paid them and went on.

Quote:
they are still looking for you....!!!!!
No they're not. They've long since forgot about that chase but one day they will get reminded about it or at least that one cop will. The only reason I'm going to do that is he's such a ##### and the whole dept hates him.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #22

I GUESS THAT YOU WALK AROUND TOWN AND LET EVERYONE SEE THE HALO OVER YOUR HEAD....

when in fact it should be a NOOOSE........!!!!!!1

HA...HA...HA..

good story....

there was a guy that I know that bought the ex cop car at auction ( dodge 440)...the SAME EXACT CAR that he caused to get totalled on the side of freeway....he drove a 4X4 ford truck.....got to cops drivers side door and freaked him out...cut him off -ran off the road and "end-oed'.....

he bought the car that he caused to get totalled,...and put the engine / trans in a DART ...I welded up the dana 60 rear for him and we went racing on a budget..
oftentimes for many years he told the story at the track, and one day, with a group of people listening to this story, this 20 sumpthing kid walked up to us and said that the "cop wreck" that we all were talking about ...."was about his dad...."...
He relayed that his dad after this wreck,...retired early.....
and went to work in the private security sector....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement