opinions on Pro-Comp aluminum heads for a 460 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > 351C/Big Block Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

opinions on Pro-Comp aluminum heads for a 460

i noticed these heads on the net the other day and they seemed to put out some good numbers and were nicely priced. just wondering if anyone had any experience with them. thanks
tubular k-member and a-arms w/ coilover front suspension, lakewood drag shocks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

what about any aluminum heads for a 460? anyone have any opinions?
tubular k-member and a-arms w/ coilover front suspension, lakewood drag shocks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (0)

I've used the Pro-Comp 460 heads on a 545" solid roller motor I built to run at Bonneville. They need at least 10 hours cleanup time in the ports. They are full of machining overhangs and casting flash. After the prep work, they aren't to bad, but the old addage you get what you pay for applies. If you put them on out of the box, you're wasting your time. If you have to pay a professional to do the work to make hem right, you may as well buy Edelbrocks.

Also, be careful, they use the same funky valve in the 460 heads as their own 351C heads, so the only source for cost effective valves are Pro-Comp or SI. I use bare heads so that I can control the springs used, and the finished product.

A final thought, and this one may affect your decision, they use the standard 460 port location, not the Cobra Jet port. If you want to run a dominator like we did, there are no manifolds that bolt up to the head without massive modification. I used a Performer RPM Air Gap, and welded on a Dominator carburator flange. Then I weded the interior of the manifold under the carburetor and ported/re-machined it to keep it a dual plane. We run a 1050 on it.

It runs well, but rain at Bonneville washed us out in October and rain and wind at El Mirage kept us from running in November, so we won't get to run until May.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #4

caasting are made in AUSTRALIA i think,bare..and assembled here...i heard good and bad,,i hear the casting allways need smoothin out..ME personally i would rather have som1 in N>AMerica make the heads i have or want so i can get parts cheaper,and as allways ya get what ya pay for..i had windsor jrs,srs,and would take the windsor jrs,srs, over the pro comps..IMO///what do i know,im a pawn in a dark game of life lol..
Old 01-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (8)

Like was said above, you get what you pay for. I believe they are imported TO Australia FROM China.

Believe me, if they were made in Australia they would be on the same level as the CHI heads and the Parker stuff.

Personally, I'd save my money and spend it on some TFS Streets or FRPP SCJ's. Jon Kaase also has a new head coming out real soon. It basically his rendition of the worked FRPP SCJ's he used on his Engine Master's Engine a few years ago.

His testing has confirmed 700hp and around 580 torque on a 10.5:1 466 FRPP shortblock, and 800hp on a 12:1 FRPP 514 (actually 521) shortblock. Both tests were with a Victor intake, nice healthy solid roller and a King Demon 1050.

Backhalved 87 LX Hatchback, 514, Glide, etc...
Old 01-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #6

That sucks. Those are the very heads I wanted to put on a 557 with a dominator.
88 coupe, 351 cleveland, unported 4V heads, buddy rawls custom solid roller, diamond domes, 6'' h-beam rods, stock 4bolt block/crank, holley strip dominator, 950HP holley, hoosier 28x10, 90/10s, UPR pro rear kit
nonstroked, stock iron heads and NO NITROUS!!!!!!!!
10.08@134.83 / 6.44@108.21 (1/8th)
Old 01-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #7

Like 88Saleen said. If you have the FREE access to do the required work then they aren't that bad. I don't think anything is helicoiled either. It's just after you pay someone to clean themup, check everything, etc.... you probably could've bought a set of TFS or SCJ's.

Seeing as you can by those from ebay for $1400, why not spend another $400 and get a set of SCJ's, or TFS...

JMO, I'd use a worked set of DOVE's before I used a set of Pro Comps.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (5)

OK.... so I wasn't going to post.

But I have to. I'm a 20 year old engineering student, a car fanatic and thoroughly enjoy combining the two. With that said I'd like to ask those of you considering these heads for your motors to really step back and look at these products. The reason these heads are so reasonably priced is because of the engineering process that went into them. None. Frankly ideas for great heads don't just pop out of no where. Ideas like these cost companies money in both research and development. There are employees necessary for a company to do both research and testing, employees who are real people with real families which they are supporting.

A company such as Procomp, a large threat to today's parts company, invests no such money in research and development. Through eliminating research and development they eliminate the skilled workers and unskilled workers required. This allows them to lower their price, as anyone can dissect an already built piece of metal and make something similar. That is why there are patents, to protect the integrity and value of a persons original idea. Unfortunately there are ways around this, and Procomp is excelling at this.

Now what is even worse, these companies stop any forward motion of technology. If one thousand years ago all we did was copy the wheel of our fathers, and recreated it exactly the same without understanding how it worked, we would still be in a primitive carriage and the automobile would be nonexistent. Yes, this is a severely exaggerated example, but you get the idea. Imagine running 70's technology for the next 100 years. No EFI, no efficient motors, no valve timing management, etc.

I can't tell you what to do with your wallet, just hopefully get you to think twice before supporting a company that cuts out the hard work that those of us study for years to be able to conduct. One day I hope to come up with an original idea, an idea that can revolutionize the automobile industry. It will be hard to do that if companies like Procomp succeed, I won't even have a company to work for.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:05 AM   #9

Sorry but if I can use them, procomps will be on my motor. You want to really suceed, figure out a way to make new stuff for what they sell theirs for by being exceptionally smart. If you can't, they are what you'll have to compete with. Unfortunately for you, I guess, this is the way the world works. Companies like procomp won't ever stop progress because there wil always be people with deep pockets that will not buy things like these heads because of the price alone.
88 coupe, 351 cleveland, unported 4V heads, buddy rawls custom solid roller, diamond domes, 6'' h-beam rods, stock 4bolt block/crank, holley strip dominator, 950HP holley, hoosier 28x10, 90/10s, UPR pro rear kit
Old 01-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #10

If you do some research you'll see that the Pro Comp head is basically a cast aluminum, bonestock DOVE, or D3VE head. I'm not even sure if it has the small or big chamber. It ranks below all of the other aluminum heads out there. Personally I don't think it's a good bang for the buck deal.

What I'm saying is the runners aren't anything special, just stock copies, etc.... That's why I said I'd prefer a set of DOVE's over them.

You can compare these heads to the SBF Chinese knockoffs that stirred s much controversy here on the corral a few years back.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #11

Being I don't have either one now, I'd pay that price for the procomps given the fact they are aluminum as long as they aren't a total POS. The problem I have with them is if I can't buy a dominator intake to fit them, they are worthless for the 557 I'd like to build.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #12

Any manifold will fit. You'll just have the same port mismatch problems that you'd have with other stock iron heads.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:38 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Cleveland View Post
Sorry but if I can use them, procomps will be on my motor. You want to really suceed, figure out a way to make new stuff for what they sell theirs for by being exceptionally smart. If you can't, they are what you'll have to compete with. Unfortunately for you, I guess, this is the way the world works. Companies like procomp won't ever stop progress because there wil always be people with deep pockets that will not buy things like these heads because of the price alone.
Perhaps you missed my post, or just skimmed through it quickly. It is impossible to continue to employ those conducting the research and development, making improvements and putting out a quality product all while keeping the cost down below what these thieves sell them for.

Obviously you won't understand, and that is your right. Just so you know though intellectual properties are being stolen and there are laws to protect these ideas. Unfortunately as I said already, there are ways around this. Specialty companies are working with their legislatures, and numerous articles are being printed to make the general public aware.

I certainly don't have deep pockets, my build uses a set of iron heads.

So do you like job outsourcing as well?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:49 AM   #14

Trader Feedback: (7)

I love Job outsourcing! Its great knowing some company on Our soil is getting rich while Our job market goes down the ****ter! Its also great to know Our the companies here ( that do or dont participate in outsourcing) are also getting the shaft in the end. Little pieces of America are being sold to china (who has very bad intentions for us) everyday. Illegals and unskilled immigrants are coming here in unprecented waves of over 2 million a year. The future is bright! /tangent

Last edited by EvilGooses; 01-18-2007 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:10 AM   #15

I firmly believe that it is our duty to consider the effects our actions have on others and the world.

My conscience is clean in this matter. Is yours?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351carlo View Post
Perhaps you missed my post, or just skimmed through it quickly. It is impossible to continue to employ those conducting the research and development, making improvements and putting out a quality product all while keeping the cost down below what these thieves sell them for.
Nobody said anything about keeping the cost below what others sell something for. Just try to keep it where it's not double the cost or more. Then and only then can you offer the better buy for the money with a superior product that's worth paying a little more for.

Quote:
Obviously you won't understand, and that is your right. Just so you know though intellectual properties are being stolen and there are laws to protect these ideas. Unfortunately as I said already, there are ways around this. Specialty companies are working with their legislatures, and numerous articles are being printed to make the general public aware.
Obviously you are the one that doesn't understand and being 20 years old I can see why. What they are doing has been going on since the beginning of time and isn't going to stop ever. Just like people downloading music off the internet isn't going to stop.

Quote:
I certainly don't have deep pockets, my build uses a set of iron heads.
I would imagine not at 20 years old but I wasn't referring to someone like you having deep pockets.

Quote:
So do you like job outsourcing as well?
I prefer to spend my money at home and support job for the people in this country but if it means I'll have to spend twice as much or more, I just won't do that.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I firmly believe that it is our duty to consider the effects our actions have on others and the world.

My conscience is clean in this matter. Is yours?
I don't have a conscience.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #18

Just a little more input here. These are large chamber heads, but you can mill the hell out of them and het them down to pretty much any reasonable chamber volume you might want.

The intake port is the same port dimension as a D0VE-C, but the exhaust has a nice raised floor at the exit. The bowl areas on both sides are hugely improved over the factory castings. The overall quality of the casting is actually pretty good. And the machining work is fine. Both are on par with TFS.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with these heads or any oher for the 385 motors. Our 545 just came off the dyno at 688rwhp at 6650 and 621rwtq. at 5000. I'll gladly sell you a set just like the ones I'm running, ready to bolt on. I have a spare set for the 545 that I just haven't finished.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88saleen697 View Post
The intake port is the same port dimension as a D0VE-C, but the exhaust has a nice raised floor at the exit.
A knowledgeable friend of mine looked at a set of these and says the intake port is like a standard 460 port at the mouth but opens up after the mouth the CJ size so they can be opened up at the mouth to match a CJ intake.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #20

That would be a no-no. The head would have terrible velocity issues if it opened up mid port and got larger. The port is D0VE-C size 2/3 of the wy through the port, up to the transition into the bowl. The bowl and short radius are vastly different from any stock casting including the CJ and SCJ port.

Have fun raising the roof on these to match a CJ port size. You'll be into them for about 10hours. The bad part is, you likely won't need the port that big. You'll want to weld up the floor to get the port back into proportion. It's more logical to use a bigger head before doing that much work.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #21

why don't you guy's just get a set of the TFS streets for the 460? The Edelbricks are the bottom of the list when it comes to heads for the 460.

Or wait a little while and get a set of the Kaase P51's they will be out soon.

Randy
Old 01-22-2007, 01:30 AM   #22

Unfortunately, some of the guys I build engines for are not really well funded, but they race anyway, so when we can knock a $1000 off the price of n engine with something like the ProComp heads, or a Chinese rotating assembly, we do. I generally won't cut corners on valvetrain parts, but castings and forgings can always be tweaked to work.

I was ultimately pleased with the smaller intake ports on the ProComp heads for the advantage of more torque in our operating range which is from 4500-6500rpm. We can pull a taller gear and turn the engine less revs in our bid for 200+mph with this engine.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #23

I also say get the TFS Street heads before you buy the Pro-Comp's. The best bang for the buck head is going to be the P-51 if you want to stay with a standard style port. The TFS Street head requires no modification to bolt on but the P-51 will require the same valve reliefs as the new SCJ. I said screw it and went with A460's. A big cube motor is going to need alot of air to run good so don't cut corners on the heads. Chris
Old 01-28-2007, 12:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71pinto View Post
why don't you guy's just get a set of the TFS streets for the 460? The Edelbricks are the bottom of the list when it comes to heads for the 460.

Or wait a little while and get a set of the Kaase P51's they will be out soon.
Because they will be 4 times the price that's why.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #25

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/all...d=pro-comp+460
Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #26

All those people that are talking about the irregular shape of the chamber on those heads evidently don't have a clue. There's nothing wrong with that chamber. You can bet you ass the motor won't know or care if the chamber isn't perfectly uniform all the way around. Just more spouting off from sheeple that were told by other sheeple if it doesn't cost a fortune, it can't possibly be any good at all. I won't say the procomps are close to the best thing available. I haven't seen any in person at all but from all the pics of them I've seen people post at several places and from what a knowledgable friend that has had them in his hand says, they aren't a bad buy for the money. Notice I said for the money.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #27

Trader Feedback: (3)

Keep sending your money to the PLA, they appreciate your support.

- Commodore Stephen Decatur, Norfolk, Virginia, April 4, 1816
Sponsored Links
Advertisement