Block weight - 351C vs 351W - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > 351C/Big Block Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Block weight - 351C vs 351W

351W, D2 block with main caps,cam bearings & freeze plugs - 167 lbs
351C, D0 block with main caps, cam bearings, missing freeze plugs - 168.5 lbs

Measured twice each on the same digital scale (range 0-300) that tells me to lay off the Mexican food.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2006, 06:03 AM   #2

A smaller block (351c) that weighs the same. Hmmm, that means the smaller one has MORE metal for its size.

Beware of leftist/liberals/democrats posing as Americans.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceallday1
A smaller block (351c) that weighs the same. Hmmm, that means the smaller one has MORE metal for its size.
Don't forget that the timing cover is cast into the front of the block.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #4

Also agrees with the published data from Ford on engine weights

http://tc.ne13.com/FordEngineWeightsV1.html

The FE folks enjoy this too, since it shows that the big ol' FE 427 block weighs less than a 429/460.

Last edited by Falcon67; 04-27-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon67
....the big ol' FE 427 block weighs less than a 429/460.
The heads are smaller and lighter too. But have you picked up a cast iron FE intake?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #6

have you picked up an alum FE intake? Alum heads and alum intake, and FE's are light! my opinion...

www.ncmustangs.com
Old 04-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #7

Just to add some twist to it....how about an aftermarket aluminum head for a W compared to a cast iron 4V head? The Edelbrock Vic Jr's I have for the 396W weigh 33#'s complete..hehe...Now, don't go getting all huffin'/puffin' on Alum Yates and CHI heads because they're just way outta reach costwise to be a fair comparison...IMO anyways...
Not trying to start a pizzin' match....just saying there's a big difference there! Heck, there's a Big difference there comparing the Vic Jr's with the 4V High Port's I have with the Huge Alum Exhaust plates added on to them....lol

Tater
Old 04-29-2006, 01:18 AM   #8

so tater,

does that mean that I should sell off all my aluminum fontana and race parts dist. BLOCKS,

and also the brodix-neal-kato heads and all the C-3 and D3 heads.....????

but I would guess that the billett velasco and BRYANT cranks are O.K. even though they are HEAVY........????

and then to make the weight break, I will have to add 150 pounds back in the car.!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
does that mean that I should sell off all my aluminum fontana and race parts dist. BLOCKS,
dibs
Old 04-30-2006, 01:52 AM   #10

Having some Log-in issues here so hence the new Nic....
Kato, your free to buy/sell any parts. My previous post wasn't meant to sound like this combo of parts is the best or whatever. Just trying to say that anymore I'm trying to put together street/strip combo's that'd be friendly either driving 25 miles to a cruise-in or busting off a decent ET slip at the track. For the coin involved in my low $ set-ups I don't see much difference $-wise between a decent set of aftermarket W heads versus a set of re-built iron C heads with usually having to add-in valves,springs,retainers,guides,etc....Like I stated above not looking for a pizzin' match. Just stating the difference in weight. Sounds like you have some nice sheot on the shelf!! That's cool but I see me using a stock W/C based block for my future with my budget. .....I figured it'd add a new twist to Falcons post and offer another way to look at it.

Tater1...
Old 05-01-2006, 01:27 AM   #11

you might want to think about loosing some weight in the block by boring out the cylinders...

or drilling some holes in the block.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #12

There's not much $ difference in a low buck C or W rebuilt head. But for power potential, the stocker C heads will likely run better than the Ws would. I spent about 20 hours on my 2Vs and - as far as flow figures take you - they run on the bench what a good set of Edelbrock W heads run. Not saying better becasue there's mroe to a head than flow figures, but if you like to play flow numbers, they come close for a lot less cash.

Another way to look at it is that a set or prepped 4V closed C heads is going to be cheaper (a bit, not a lot) than a set of good aftermarket W heads - and have the potential to run a lot harder while still running fine to the burger cruise night. In spite of weighing 20+ lbs more each. If you compare what you can do with a 4V closed head vs the cash outlay for a set of even Edelbrock aluminum C heads - well, I'll be hanging on to my outa date old stockers for a while longer LOL.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon67
There's not much $ difference in a low buck C or W rebuilt head. But for power potential, the stocker C heads will likely run better than the Ws would. I spent about 20 hours on my 2Vs and - as far as flow figures take you - they run on the bench what a good set of Edelbrock W heads run. Not saying better becasue there's mroe to a head than flow figures, but if you like to play flow numbers, they come close for a lot less cash.

Another way to look at it is that a set or prepped 4V closed C heads is going to be cheaper (a bit, not a lot) than a set of good aftermarket W heads - and have the potential to run a lot harder while still running fine to the burger cruise night. In spite of weighing 20+ lbs more each. If you compare what you can do with a 4V closed head vs the cash outlay for a set of even Edelbrock aluminum C heads - well, I'll be hanging on to my outa date old stockers for a while longer LOL.
This is exactly what I say too.
88 coupe, 351 cleveland, unported 4V heads, buddy rawls custom solid roller, diamond domes, 6'' h-beam rods, stock 4bolt block/crank, holley strip dominator, 950HP holley, hoosier 28x10, 90/10s, UPR pro rear kit
nonstroked, stock iron heads and NO NITROUS!!!!!!!!
10.08@134.83 / 6.44@108.21 (1/8th)
Old 05-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #14

......there just aint too many 4.125 " bore size clevelands around anymore.......!!!!!!!!!1
Old 05-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #15

Quote:
......there just aint too many 4.125 " bore size clevelands around anymore.......!!!!!!!!!1
there might be sooner then you think.
the N54 board has a hint of goodness to come.
someone involved in aftermarket FE blocks stepped up
Old 05-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
It's what the world needs now. That and cheap gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement