What are the best stock heads to use on a 460? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > 351C/Big Block Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

What are the best stock heads to use on a 460?

I have a set of d3ve heads but i was told they arent good for my setup. What are some other stock alternatives? Are there different styles of D0ves heads. thanks

Last edited by Nos85Gt; 02-23-2005 at 03:31 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2005, 05:33 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (31)

Mine are DOVE-C's. I believe about 77cc chamber, give or take a few cc's. Early 70's 460
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-23-2005, 05:59 PM   #3

what heads would be on a 73 lincoln?
Old 02-23-2005, 06:41 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (1)

Heads

D3's would probably be on a 73' Lincoln. Any of the Dove's C9's or C8's work well. I use C8'S with 2.19 intake and 1.76 exhaust with ALOT of port work on the exhaust side.

Jim
Old 02-23-2005, 06:43 PM   #5

where do you find dove c's? year? make of vehicle?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:57 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (31)

Actually They were used from the begining of 70' through 71', Mine are of a lincoln. I believe your heads are atleast 90cc and have a little shorter valve length due to a deeper valve seat. Hope this helps.
Donnie
Old 02-24-2005, 01:13 AM   #7

Yea I got my DOVE-C heads off of a 70-71 lincoln cont. mark 3. Yea they are the smaller chamber 76cc which are the perfered heads, d3ve are like 95cc, so less compression which is ok if you are going to change pistons anyways, you can make the compression what ever you want.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:08 AM   #8

The best stock (OEM) 429/460 heads are the CJ (or SCJ) heads that have casting number DOOE-. Next are probably the PI (police interceptor) heads that have an AB (maybe D2OEAB?) in the casting numbers. They are similar to CJ's, but with bigger combustion chambers (lower compression). Next are probably the Dove C's. At least IMHO. Check out this forum if you want to dig deeper: (http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220) Mike
Old 03-02-2005, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHStang
The best stock (OEM) 429/460 heads are the CJ (or SCJ) heads that have casting number DOOE-. Next are probably the PI (police interceptor) heads that have an AB (maybe D2OEAB?) in the casting numbers. They are similar to CJ's, but with bigger combustion chambers (lower compression). Next are probably the Dove C's. At least IMHO. Check out this forum if you want to dig deeper: (http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220) Mike

Don't forget the C9 and C8VE's are what the DOVE became to be..

1965 Galaxie "under construction"

04 Screamin' Yella Cobra.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:23 AM   #10

Any stock head you get is going to need major exhaust port work. The least you can do is grind off the humps everywhere in the runner. That will help alot. I'd stay away from the D3's because I hear the larger chamber makes for detonation problems because of its size. If your stock pistons definetely dont use D3s.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:36 PM   #11

I have a set of stock Dove C heads and wondering if they could produce enough power on a 466ci to dip into the mid 5's 1/8mi?

Tyler
Old 03-20-2005, 08:49 PM   #12

check out the site 460ford.com. Ask the question there.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:51 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivelitrecoupe
I have a set of stock Dove C heads and wondering if they could produce enough power on a 466ci to dip into the mid 5's 1/8mi?

Tyler
As long as the cam, heads and intake are all working together at the same time they will work well. Mid 5's N/A would be asking ALOT. But low 6's N/A is possible. Add some juice and your good to go.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyRJ
As long as the cam, heads and intake are all working together at the same time they will work well. Mid 5's N/A would be asking ALOT. But low 6's N/A is possible. Add some juice and your good to go.
I plan on using a Ed curtis cam, ported dove c's, and a decent intake. Not sure what intake would be the best for a 466? I do plan on running a direct port fogger system to get it in the 5's. Also not sure on carb size?

Thanks for the help

Tyler
Old 03-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivelitrecoupe
I plan on using a Ed curtis cam, ported dove c's, and a decent intake. Not sure what intake would be the best for a 466? I do plan on running a direct port fogger system to get it in the 5's. Also not sure on carb size?

Thanks for the help

Tyler
850 would be a good start imo. Ive personally never had a big enough carb. I know people here will argue that but thats just my opinion.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:29 PM   #16

"Ive personally never had a big enough carb."

No question about that. I ran an 850 double pumper on my 460 in an '80 F250 4x4 and it loved it!

My best friend has the following setup:

- 460 .030 over
- stock crank
- Eagle H-beam rods
- Kieth Black 10.5/1 forged pistons
- BIG Comp Cams roller cam (I never asked the specs)
- Victor 460 intake
- Holley 950 4150HP race series carb
- Holly Blue fuel pump
- D3VE 95cc heads!!!
- MSD everything

Running in:

- 1971 Ford Galaxie 4-door post police car replica (inspired by Hawaii 5-O)
- 4300lbs curb weight
- Runs on pump gas!

ET: 12.09 @ 117MPH!!!

He ported the hell out of the exhaust ports on the heads. In fact, he ruined one head trying to remove those humps in the exhaust ports ... so be careful if you plan on porting your smog heads. He also port-matched the heads to the intake and had the rocker seats ground and tapped for 7/16 studs.

Don't knock the smog heads!

Brian
Old 03-23-2005, 09:45 PM   #17

Th only differences in the D3's and older style Dove heads are the combustion chambers ( lower compression ) and the stud mounts rockers. Ports are the same.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:52 PM   #18

I thought the d0ve heads didn't have the humps in the exhaust ports ... does anyone know for sure?

Brian
Old 03-24-2005, 01:34 PM   #19

Trader Feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileysan
I thought the d0ve heads didn't have the humps in the exhaust ports ... does anyone know for sure?

Brian
They do. Also, the common misconception about totally removing the hump is wrong. Leaving a part of them actually helps flow. Check out www.460ford.com

It's a really great BBF site. Those guys over there know alot.

Backhalved 87 LX Hatchback, 514, Glide, etc...
Old 03-28-2005, 12:55 PM   #20

C8VE-E

I used the C8VE-E heads ported to the max and had the 2.19 int and 1.76 exh valves from manley. I had the KB pistons with about 11.5 to 1 comp and a BG 850 mighty demon carb (a little small). A comp cams solid roller cam with .657 in and .664 exh (34-771-9 cam #). With a 2500 stall leaving the line at 2100 rpm on the foot brake and a 3.55 rear gear and spool. Car weighed 3400Lbs with driver and i was able to get a 11.19 at 121.76mph in the 1/4. Never had the car really tuned so i think it was capable of running into the 10's if i had it set up right.
But for all the work and money in the heads i could of bought a nice set of aluminum heads from edelbrock or even trick flow and had them flow the same #'s out of the box and alot lighter. Get prices first before you start getting a set of cast heads done it might be cheaper to go with a new set of aluminum and at least later on you have alot more work you can do to the aluminum heads and really move the car.
just my .02 on this.
466bbgt
Old 03-29-2005, 12:24 PM   #21

"I used the C8VE-E heads ported to the max"

This brings up another question ... How do the d0ve heads differ from the earlier heads? EG the c8ve heads off a 429. These are smaller combustion chamber heads as well.

Does anyone feel the same way I do ... that there's WAAAY too much hype over the d0ve heads?

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement