Ford Mustang Forums banner

460 to fit under a stock 89 hood?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Red514LX 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just found a 460/C4 and an engine stand for $600!! The engine runs great and the trans was just rebuilt. So I have been wondering if it is at all possible to slam a 460 under a stock hood of an 1989 LX. I am looking into buying D&D's installation kit(motor plates/ lateral supports & headers). Next question is on the trans, will the manual cross-member in my car work for the C4, and will the manual driveshaft also work?

thanks for your time guys!!
Dave

#3 ·
Actually it will fit under the stock hood. You have to have a different K-Member so the mounts will sit lower. Check out Hooker Headers kit. They give you swap headers and mounts. I'm not sure on the cross-member but I doubt it fits.

#5 ·
It'll almost fit with motor mounts, a stock intake, and a really thin air cleaner (one of those 1" x 9"? ones, lacks about 1/4-1/2". Fordified racing makes a kit to give more clearance by dropping the K member (1.5-2" I think). If you ever plan on putting on an aluminum intake, might as well get a cowl (a big one). With a Weiand stealth, I had to run a 4" cowl and still add a scoop, but i didn't drop my k member.

Drive shaft will have to be cut and a C6 (you sure it's a big block C4) yoke added.

I've got most of the basic swap info listed on my homepage.

www.kidott.stangnet.com

#7 ·
460 under stock hood

I HAVE A 460 & C6 UNDER THE STOCK HOOD OF A SVO MUSTANG . DIDNT BUY ANY SPECIAL MOUNTS OR LOWER MY K MEMBER.I USED THE 71 MUSTANG 429 MOUNT AND FAD MY SPACER MADE MY OWN OIL PAN AND RELOCATED MY TRANS CROSSMEMBER ALSO THE MOTER IS SET BACK 2 INCHES ALSO USED A SET OF 1971 429SCJ MUSTANG MANIFOLDS TOO .HAD A WELDING SHOP CUT MY DRIVESHAFT DOWN AND BALANCE IT.I PUT A SET OF 76 LTD COILS UP FRONT .CAR SET LEVEL WITH A SET OF 95 GT 5 SPOKES.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.