460 in a Fox body?? What do I need?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > 351C/Big Block Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (22)

I have a 85 coupe original V8 car that Im looking at putting a carbed 460 into. What am I gonna need to get to make it all possible? It will be a mainly track only car.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (3)

Engine, trans, motor mounts, trans mount, different length driveshaft (maybe). Since it's carbureted wiring it up will be easy. You can fit it under a stock hood too, if you are careful in your intake manifold and air cleaner choice, and use an aftermarket K-member.

- Commodore Stephen Decatur, Norfolk, Virginia, April 4, 1816
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (5)

I hate to say this on a Ford forum...being a Ford guy... But a BBC is really the way to go. You can build a stock crank/rod/trw pistoned/stock casting 454 that will murder a 460. I think someone makes a k member for it and stock Chevelle headers bolt up.

Just a thought.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (1)

http://460ford.com/ im doing a 547 with A heads in my 93 this site has alot of 460 mustang info. u can do a chevy motor in it if u want to but they make alot of things to put a 460 in it. my A heads are bbc exahust 2 1/4 x4 headers and i have about 1400.00 in the headers. there is a fw guys on there that run low 10s high 9 with a stock 460 in one. the shop that is doing my motor said that he had done a 557 with my heads and only about 10.5:1 made a lttle more than 1000 hp and i should be a little more than 1100 horserpower with mine being 13.5:1
Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (0)

castration of all the B a s 'Tards that put a chebby block in a FORD.....!!!!

just as a stock chebby can be put in...just install the 460 ford.
a stock 460 type block can EASILY be stroked and becone 512 inches... no stock chevy block can do THAT...

either way, and no matter the actual size of the engine, the easier mannor to do the install is with a tubular K member and a motorplate.. because this will allow you to move the engine forward and / or up to create better traction and transmission clearance.
I have done a number of them....
there aint no shortcuts to doing it RIGHT....
Old 08-23-2008, 06:19 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Meagher View Post
I hate to say this on a Ford forum...being a Ford guy... But a BBC is really the way to go. You can build a stock crank/rod/trw pistoned/stock casting 454 that will murder a 460. I think someone makes a k member for it and stock Chevelle headers bolt up.

Just a thought.

I saw a nice 460 fox build at a shop last week and the owner said he wish hed spent the money on a different motor. He wasnt happy with the results. I didn't question him much but the motor was all decked out with some nice aftermarket stuff.

91 lx 4cylinder...
Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (4)

im a Big Block Chevelle guy at heart , i have owned a 68' SS and a 72' both with 468ci motors. I wanted another chevelle but they were just too damn expensive now so i picked up my Mustang which was my 2nd choice. If i was gonna build a motor from scratch for my Stang it would be a Rat motor without a doubt. When i met my wife i was in the process of putting the 468 from the 72' chevelle in a tubbed 86' GT , somehow that turned into a House instead

11.35@119.05 n/a
Old 10-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #8

I've got a full int hatch street car with a stock block 545 cubic inch bbf small hyd cam 950 carb running 6.70's at 100 mph with a stock slipping c6 and have 3000$ in the motor

Seems like cheap horsepower to me
Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Meagher View Post

Just a thought.
absolutely totally 100 %
Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #10

BBC crank is rated at 450 hp

BBF crank can handle twice that

BBF bock can b made 557 cubes with no problems

BBC can't do that

Il race any BBC on the planet that has been built from scratch with 3000$
Old 10-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #11

motor in my falcon was junk as it comes.. bone stock lower end from a early 80 460 f250 truck..stock crank..rods and pistons..oil pump etc... stock dove heads with the correct valve springs on it..did have a mild roller cam in it and a victor intake, stock c6 tranny with a jegs 2800 converter and 3.50 gears ..ran 11.70 , had literately 800.00 in the whole motor -tranny
Old 02-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (29)

Garage
Cool old thread I found today
86 coupe with 4 banger 96 GT vert 86 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement