Ford Mustang Forums banner

How fast are stock 96-98 GT's?

14K views 61 replies 30 participants last post by  StangIt 
#1 ·
I am thinking of picking up a 98 GT w/ an AODE for a daily driver, how fast are they stock, are the 5 speed cars much quicker than the AODE cars? Are they like the 5.0's 5 speed vs AOD, or are the 96-98 AODE cars better? I know that these years of the Mustang arent know for there performance but I am just looking for a Daily driver that is comfortable. Later on I might put some 4.10's and a dry shot to it.

#2 ·
The 98s have the 4R70W transmission which has gearing closer matched to the 5 speed. The 98 stock will do the quarter with a low 15 second quarter mile and the 5 speed will do it in a high 14 second quarter.

#3 ·
AOD-E was in '94/95 only I think. '96+ was the 4R70W I think. Drive one and see if you're happy with it. In any year late model Mustang you're going to take a huge hit in performance as opposed to a manual tranny. If you're using your car for a daily driver you might be happy with the benefits of an auto over the faster acceleration of a manual. I drive autos because I drive through DC traffic and I wouldn't want a manual. Your situation may be different.

#7 ·
A 98 auto should run in the low 15's stock mine ran 15.4 all day long with 150K on it, and its a 96 10 less HP

#13 ·
Jason915 said:
Then why does everyone say that they are all so slow, seems to me that they are about as fast as a 5.0 stock for stock?
They are about as fast as the '94-'95's were stock. It just takes alot more stuff to make them quicker and are more expensive on parts versus the 5.0. The older fox bodies are quicker then us stock especially the coupes (2800lbs).

#14 ·
yep, they're slow stock, but you can always change that with mods and $. But anyways, IMO the 96-98 GT's are THE BEST looking Gt's ever made....maybe not the best looking mustangs, but def. best looking GT's.......so to each his own.

Matt

#16 ·
I ran a 15.3 my first time at the track. My mods are mac o/r h, mac cat back, 3.73 gears, k&n filter and a tri-ax shifter. My check engine light came on about 10 miles away from the track and the idle would surge and run like crap for a while, then go back to driving kind of OK. Found out that the MAF had gone bad along with the pass. front O2 sensor. I will hopefully be going back to the strip to get some better times. The fastest ET I had that day was 93 mph.

#18 ·
Jason915 said:
I am thinking of picking up a 98 GT w/ an AODE for a daily driver, how fast are they stock, are the 5 speed cars much quicker than the AODE cars? Are they like the 5.0's 5 speed vs AOD, or are the 96-98 AODE cars better? I know that these years of the Mustang arent know for there performance but I am just looking for a Daily driver that is comfortable. Later on I might put some 4.10's and a dry shot to it.
So if you are just looking for a comfortable daily driver why worry how fast they are? Just enjoy the ride and don't worry about the speed thing. The 96-98 GT's are pretty slow compared to the 99+ Mod motors. That's why everyone is doing the famous PI headswap which will take care of that deficiency and let the Mod Motor breathe. But since you are looking for comfort just get some plush seat covers and a pair of Fuzzy dice and you should be all set :D

#19 ·
Re: Re: How fast are stock 96-98 GT's?

Sting said:
So if you are just looking for a comfortable daily driver why worry how fast they are? Just enjoy the ride and don't worry about the speed thing.

Comfort will be first, but I can't stand to drive and I refuse to ever own a vehicle that can't even get out of its own way. Part of the Comfort factor for me is being able to leave everyone behind when I want to, or being able to merge into trafic with ease.

#21 ·
Before the PI stuff came out, there were plenty of people running low 14s and some 13s with a few bolt ons and gears. I ran 14.5 at 95 with just gears.
Erich

#22 ·
I was about 14.8 stock, gears helped the most, but you can see where I am in my signature.

#23 ·
Re: Re: Re: How fast are stock 96-98 GT's?

Jason915 said:
Sting said:
So if you are just looking for a comfortable daily driver why worry how fast they are? Just enjoy the ride and don't worry about the speed thing.

Comfort will be first, but I can't stand to drive and I refuse to ever own a vehicle that can't even get out of its own way. Part of the Comfort factor for me is being able to leave everyone behind when I want to, or being able to merge into trafic with ease.

I think that it would be fair to say that a stock 96-8 GT can at least get out of it's own way and merge into traffic...some might disagree possibly though...

#24 ·
Re: Re: Re: How fast are stock 96-98 GT's?

Jason915 said:
Sting said:

You shouldn't have any trouble accellerating when necessary or merging into traffic with your stang. It will still be faster than most of those 4 and 6 bangers on the road. So if that is your comfort level than you should be okay ;) Now leaving "everyone" behind will be difficult. There is always somebody faster no matter what you do to your car. And the more you do to your car the less reliable it becomes and perhaps some of the comfort level drops in lieu of speed and performance enhancements. It all depends what you want to do with the car and what purpose it represents to you.

Daily, dependable, comfortable driver.... Don't look any further.
You already got it. But it seems that performance is an issue so do a headswap, add some gears and put a Performance Valve Body in your AODE tranny. Those things will make the car more fun to drive and will apease the performance demands that you put on the car...... at least for a little while ;)
Once the performance bug has bitten you there is no stopping.
It never ends..... Believe me.... I was once where you are now,
happy with a stock stang... That lasted about 2 weeks and the rest is in the sig. And it never stops......

Good Luck :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.