Ford Mustang Forums banner

Will 275/40/R17 Nitto Drag Radial fit on foxbody w/ 17x9 Cobra R wheel w/o any mods?

10K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Nitrous Al 
#1 ·
Will a 275/40/R17 Nitto Drag Radial fit on a fox body with a 17x9 Cobra R wheel w/o any mods??? Not sure if flipping or removing the quad shock will be enough.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Had this setup on my car. Can't help for certain. I can't remember even trying to fit it stock. I replaced the LCAs and removed the quad shock.

That said, I seem to recall having trouble going beyond about 245-255s range without flipping and/or removing the quad shocks. Otherwise, you won't need to beat the fenderwell.

Also, It doesn't seem like everyone has this issue, but I had some tire rubbing issues on the rear driver's side. I was using the R58 Cobra R's with the 5.95" backspacing and 24mm offset. There is another Cobra R with a different offset, though.

#6 ·
Providing you have the correct offset wheels for your axles, the 275/40/17 fits perfect on a 17x9 wheel. Had the same setup. Only thing I had to do, was flip the quad for clearance. But, at that point, I just took them off. Never had a need for them.

#9 ·
There are two situations for which I am trying to find out the correct offset for fitment with a 17x9 wheel and a 275/40/17 tire on the rear of a Fox (92 in my case with H&R race springs, quad shocks flipped).

1) as above with Fox length axles ...

2) as above with sn95 length axles ...

Understanding that each car may be slightly different, research seems to indicate a 24-25mm for Fox length and 35-36mm for sn95 length, but I have not been able to verify.

Ideally, would like to hear from folks with similar setup (for either) and what offset worked for them. Thanks.

#7 ·
I have a 90 vert with eibach 1.5" drop springs, true 95 cobra R's, and 275/40/17 nitto 555's and they got hung up on the quad shocks. I removed the quad shocks and they still get cut by the fenders especially when I have ppl in the back. Axles are fox length.

I never had any of this with 255 tires.

I plan on rolling the fenders to fix it. I do wonder why others don't have a problem.

#8 ·
Hard to say why some have probs and others don't. I lucked out. I bought the package deal from lmr with the 17 x 10's and it fits perfectly. Of course I removed the quad and all its mounts, but they are useless anyways. I was fully expecting to have to use the persuader on the inside edge and roll the fender lips. This is also on a stock height 87 gt with new springs back there. The tire is a 275/40/17

#13 ·
I was looking at the same package from LMR, would your quads have fit if there were flipped?

#10 ·
OP,
not intending to hi-jack your thread ... subject was so close to my question that perhaps any responses will be helpful for you as well. 0:)

#11 ·
I used the M179 version of the Cobra Rs (17x9", 6.42" backspacing, so ~+36mm offset) with SN95 axles on my '89 convertible. With 275/40-17s I had to roll the fender lips; prior to rolling the lips, I carved chunks of rubber out of the sidewalls of my tires when I hit decent bumps on the highway.

#15 ·
Would 17x9 rims with the 275/40/17 fit with quads flipped? or wouldnt going from 17x10 to 17x9 matter since the tires is the same?

Right now im running 15x8.5" with a 5" backspacing with Nitto 275/50's with the quads flipped.

#16 ·
Yes you pretty much nailed it. The tire still takes up some room. The 8.5" wheel with 5" backspacing sounds like a Centerline wheel. I would concentrate on getting a better lower control arm and forget about the quad shocks as they were only a band-aid from Ford in the first place.

#17 ·
Yes, you are right i am running Centerline Convo Pro wheels. Iv had them on for awhile now and was just wanting something different and i really like
the 03 cobra wheels. I did upgrade the lower arms to Pro3i weight jacker arms(J&M now?). After install i still had wheel hop, not sure if they need grease
or if upgrading the uppers would finally eliminate the hop. Last summer i bought new quads and installed them flipped and wheel hop was eliminated which
is why i was trying to find a wheel/tire combo i could still use the quads flipped. Thought of just going with 245/45's all around with a 245 Nitto DR in rear but
i think with my engine combo a 245 DR i the rear wouldnt give me the traction id want.

#19 ·
stock springs right now but have eibach pro springs for the front to go on in spring along with new struts. lakewood shocks in rear with stock springs.

#24 ·
Any updates on this post? I have a used pair of "Who's your Daddy" drag radials on 16" 4-lug Chrome R's. I was going to bolt them on and make a few hits. See what the car does. 255 tires. I want/need a 275. I'm not sure if I should try a 15" or 5 lug swap and 17"? It's 2020. What the latest technology?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.