Ford Mustang Forums banner

Indy Hangout - The Good, the Bad, the Fast.

399K views 10K replies 81 participants last post by  Venomous1 
#1 ·
Time to start a new thread. :evilgrin:

Kyle

#5,353 ·
Good late-morning all.

I'm officially retiring from ever wrenching on another car again. Just not worth it when every time something goes to hell. There was a time I enjoyed the challenge since I'm not very mechanically inclined at all, but that time has passed.

#5,354 ·
I love working on my own junk but I always research as much as possible beforehand, see if anyone else has done the same thing that i'm about to do.

Having the correct tools also helps but sometimes is actually cheaper having someone else do it as the tool is way too much $$$.

Most of the stuff that I run into i'm pretty sure I can do. The oil pump on the other hand i'm having a friend do. As i've never timed a 4v before. Plus he knows the tricks to do it without taking the valve covers off.

I will say that i'm not going to touch the F150. All of that work will be handled at the dealer.

#5,356 ·
Good morning everyone!

I enjoy working on my car when I want to. I hate it when I am pressed for time and need to work on it, even when I don't want to.

LT

#5,358 ·
Good morning everyone and Happy Hump Day!

Got the word last night that my car is ready. Now, I cant wait to pick it up and hear the difference!

LT

#5,360 ·
Good morning everyone!

Our neighborhood was a little sketchy this morning but the rest of the roads were no problem.

LT

#5,362 ·
Morning!

Got lucky that I was in Atlanta and missed all of the snow. Didn't seem like too much either.

Just waiting on the chain guides to show up.

#5,364 ·
Good morning everyone! TGIF!!!

Working in comfy clothes at home today. Rachel had her wisdom teeth removed yesterday, so I am keeping an eye on her today while trying to get some things done for work. Going to pick up the car tonight. Cant wait! I will try to get some vid to post.

LT

#5,366 ·
Morning!

Glad that it's going to be somewhat warm this weekend.

Can't wait to hear the new exhaust Larry.

#5,368 ·
Good morning everyone!

Well, Rachel's wisdom teeth removal went well. She is still sore but doing quite a bit better than expected. Thanks for the well wishes.

Got the car back and the bumper exit exhaust turned out GREAT!!! It is definitely louder and you can hear the turbos a lot better. I cant wait to have it cranked on the dyno or on the transbrake!

Turbos are off of the car and being sent in for rebuild. I got the Kirkeys mounted yesterday as well. Now need to start tearing the whole thing down again for a cage.

LT

#5,369 ·
Morning all.

Well I've run into a huge problem on my mustang. Was putting the ATI balancer on and the bolt snapped on the install tool (when I went to buy the same kit, out of 6 amazon reviews, 3 reviews gave the kit 1* and said they also snapped the bolt, so maybe it was partly my lack of mechanical skill and part cheap install bolt). About 1/2" of the tip of the bolt broke off in the crank, but it was really hard to get to because the threads are about 2" inside the crank. So I bought some long drill bits and bolt extractors and thought I was making good progress. However, it appears that as I was drilling it didn't go straight (I was working blind because of that 2" gap). I've gotten most of the broken piece out and will be able (I think) to get the rest out tonight, but I'm really worried that the threads inside the crank are ruined from where the drill bit didn't go straight. Is the only option to replace the crank? I can't put into words how angry I am about this and upset with myself. I may just get out of the car game altogether because I'm not a good enough mechanic to work on stuff myself and shops tend to rip me off and do shoddy work.

#5,370 ·
Brian - i'm pretty sure the threads in the snout of the crank are hardened. So if they are screwed up it going to be a whale of a time tapping them out i would believe. It's weird that I had zero problems installing mine and then bam, all hell breaks loose.

#5,371 ·
Brian,

THAT sucks. But all is probably not lost. Threads may be burgered up a bit in one location, but even they are, unless they are totally trashed, should be OK. As long as you can thread the crank bolt into the crank you should be OK. You will need to get a thread chaser (NOT - I REPEAT, NOT a thread tap!!!)) Taps and chasers are two different things. Get a properly sized thread chaser and run it into the threads after you remove all pieces of the broken bolt. Degrease the crank bolt and degrease the crank threads. Then go to NAPA and go to the parts counter and get extreme temp thread locker for coarse threads. Apply thread locker to crank bolt and install normally. Let it sit for how ever long the directions say to cure (some take up to to 72 hours). Should be OK.

This is assuming the front of the crank isnt drilled through to allow oil into the crank bolt area.

Good luck.

#5,372 ·
Steve much appreciated. You've given me some hope. I know the crank isn't drilled through, I can even "feel" the edges of where the threads are on the side that's been cleared out. Just need to be careful in getting the rest of it out now.

#5,373 ·
Steve is right. A chaser and some high temp thread lock should get your through. Good luck!

LT

#5,377 ·
#5,378 ·
Good afternoon all.

Thanks Larry, I found another brand of chaser in that size that is supposed to arrive today.

Have a guy coming from Chicago to look at the 2013 Gt. I think he plans on writing me a check so I'll need to hold onto the car until it clears if he decides to buy. He seemed really interested on the phone and he's driving a long ways to look at it.

#5,379 ·
Good morning everyone and happy hump day.

Brian - depending on when he comes, can you just go to the bank and cash the check immediately or verify funds or something along those lines?

LT

#5,381 ·
As happy as I am that you sold the GT, I'm kinda pissed because I wanted to buy it, haha! I'm actually starting to save up for a new house, 1200 sqft was fine until we added our little one.

Chris what are your thoughts on the MM Road and Track box? I'm about 95% sure im going to purchase it within a few months but wanted some opinions as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.